The museum is operated for the collection, exhibition, and preservation of antiques, works of art, books, and physical items, which are historically significant to the past, present, and future heritage of Halifax County and Southside Virginia. It further performs and encourages research, publishes, exhibits, and preserves the results of such research.
The museum officially opened on July 11, 1982 at 515 Yancey Street in South Boston. It remained at the location until the former home of G.J. Hunt at 801 North Main Street became available. Needing more space and permanent home, a building at 1540 Wilborn Ave. was purchased. After extensive renovation, the museum officially opened on December 7, 1997.
This new location has provided additional exhibit space, expanded programs and resulted in dramatic growth in visitations and utilization.
The museum continues to be funded by tax-deductible voluntary contributions from individuals, civic clubs, businesses, foundation, fundraising projects, and bequests. South Boston and Halifax County provide some financial support. Due to the purchase of a new home and the growth in programs, the financial support for the museum must be substantially increased. Future objectives include the development of an endowment funded by bequest from individuals who wish to preserve the history and fine arts of the area for the benefit of future generations.